Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Community Service

My brief respite from nursing classes currently consists of a semester of core education courses this summer, including an American Institutions requiring 20 hours of some type of community service. What better way to help satisfy this requirement by volunteering at Evies school?

As expected, being a chaperone on a field trip for an autistic school is different. There are no school buses, the staff to student ratio is excellent, and quite a few times, not all of the students attend.

As she hasn't found a solid way to communicate, Evie is in what's considered the low functioning *classroom so it's very easy to tell when there are other children, especially girls absent. The other girl in her class wasn't there at the field trip which was disappointing for me because it's much easier to compare her to my own child. Not to see whose child is better or more advanced but I've become fascinated by other girls with autism since I don't see them as often and it's easier for me to relate to their parents. Having autistic girls bring on a whole other slew of parental worries**.

The field trip was to the BYU duck pond to float boats they decorated down a small stream, followed by a trip to a small playground nearby. I'm not sure if it's because it's more cost effective or there's a greater chance of meltdowns, students are transported by private vehicle either by their own volunteering parents or staff members. Evie was happy to go on a car ride, when the weather warms up she loves it when I crack open a window and has her hand out in the breeze.


Of course her feelings of contentment quickly ended when we got to the pond...

For whatever reason she seems to cycle in adaptability with new surroundings. One month, she goes with the flow no problem. Another month she screams bloody murder which is what she seems to be doing now. The peacefulness of the wooded area was broken by screams of my daughter, oblivious to the charms of little ducklings clamoring below for old bread. A well-put together mom nearby with her equally well-put together young girls and their perfect pinterest hair glared a bit, her well-put together picnic being interrupted by some screaming kid who appears to be old enough to know better. I resisted all temptation to chuck old bread at her, knowing she'd feel differently if she was lucky enough to know someone like my child.

Through the magical powers of Ringo Starr on my phone, Evie eventually settled and ended up having a great day. We walked up above the pond where the stream was and let me help her put her little blue boat in the water. She later led me to a bench to sit until it was time to go to the park.

This was when the meltdowns began. Two other children became upset they had to leave the wooded area, not understanding we were going to a place to have snacks, swing, and slide. It was interesting though to watch the staff members interact with them. They understood you can't simply reason with them. They can merely explain to the best of their ability to help transition, despite being kicked or bit. Admittedly, I was happy it wasn't my kid and that Evie despite, being non-verbal, doesn't hit or kick (remind me next time she's screaming like mandrake.) Watching them interact with the children, all of them, reaffirmed how lucky we are to have our daughter at a school like this.

Evie had a blast at the park. She loves play structures and was running from bench to bench, pounding on the table for sensory stimulation. Even taking my hand over to join her. All and all it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to volunteering more.





*I still struggle to classify her as low-functioning but that's for a later post.
** another topic for a future blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment