Thursday, September 20, 2012

Here We Go Again

After a wait that has lasted all summer, Evie is going to finally have her vision checked tomorrow and here I sit, having massive flashbacks of hope, similar to her sedated hearing screen which inspired this bit of writing. I never would have thought that her vision was an issue, slightly impaired maybe but not horrible. Then I heard of this little girl who suffered developmental delays and was thought to be autistic. Turns out, she was just suffering from poor eyesight and has since become the youngest member of Mensa with an IQ of 135 after receiving the appropriate prescription for eyeglasses.

 I started to think about it and Evie does like to watch her Spongebob up close and if I am standing in a darkened hallway calling her name, she will look towards the sound of my voice but ultimately go the other way. However, if we go to a park she will immediately run to the play structure which leads me to believe she has some form of farsightedness. But again, I was searching for similar signs of deafness two years ago which brought me temporary comfort, thinking all my child needed was a cochlear implant.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for little Emmelyn and her parents. I can't imagine the joy they must have felt to find out that not only all her daughter needed was some glasses, but that she has an insane IQ for a toddler. However it does give me that fateful sense of false hope, the second time, for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment