Thursday, May 10, 2012

Progress

No, not in potty training although I have been taking her fairly regularly. That day however, I took her to the bathroom where she sat happily for a few moments, stood up, then proceeded to pee on my leg. She may not be ready but hey, she's sitting on the toilet without screaming. That's always a good sign right?

She plays this game fairly frequently during her speech therapy sessions where she'll look up at my glasses then attempt to rip them off my face, giggling where if she's successful, she'll throw them across the room. When she tried this at her most recent session, I quickly grabbed my sunglasses and put them over my regular glasses. This new change threw her off. She got this big smile on her face, took the sunglasses off my face and instead of throwing them, she held them up to her own face. I quickly took this cue and put them on her where I had expected she would take and chuck them across the room. But no, she looked up at me and she giggled!

When she reached up to take them off her face she actually handed them to me. This is a major step for not only communication but play as well. I took the glasses and put them on myself where we continued to take turns, passing my sunglasses back and forth for five minutes! It was amazing. But unfortunately for her, I now know she doesn't have some internal need to throw things. She is capable of handing objects to people or putting them back on a surface. I think this is, once again, a case where I've underestimated my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment